Thursday, August 4, 2011

Anonymous

A blogging challenge? Ooh, shiny. I'm in.

This blog was never anonymous - I always used my first name, I eventually added a picture. I namedropped my undergrad institution, my industry, the dance team I used to coach. However, I wasn't exactly posting the link to the base of my email, either.

Then a few months ago, I googled my name and BAM! A wooden nickel was staring right back at me. Some well-meaning close friends had called me by my last name in the comments, thereby leading to the unwanted connection. At first, I totally panicked. Then I stopped blogging - as if by having only back entries in which I assail one of two political parties, the problem would cease to exist.

Then I confronted the problem head on. I started to read past entries, and found that despite all the opinions I tend to spout, I also have advocated more often than not for some common ground. This blog has also been evidence of my employment history, my passions, and my obsession with coffee (someday, that will pay off).

So after the panic, I got really zen about the whole thing. It is what it is, right? My official opinion on the topic (which is not endorsed by job recruiters, so if you're in the hunt, stop reading this entry) is Ain't nobody gonna break my stride... it could be worse... at least my employers now have verification of my literacy... something about the First Amendment.

anonymous.jpg


5 comments:

mm said...

I personally hope your employers have something better to do than google your blog... just saying. We all do have a life outside of work... right?

KC said...

I agree that it can be freaky to have people connect to your blog. You might remember that I took my blog down and edited EVERY FREAKING POST when that happened to me.

But, I also agree with your assessment that if your employers googled it (and they will, i think!), they would like it as much as we do! xo

Career Girl Network Marcy said...

I tried very hard for a long time to keep my blog 100% anonymous...and for the most part it still is. But I also link it on my personal email signature and it's connected to my Twitter and Facebook. I faced the facts that my supervisor and colleagues may read it. But it's mine, and I write on it in my time, and that's that.

I think as long as your posts are well-composed and meaningful to you, any employer who would find it would praise your creativity and passion for life and willingness to share it with others!

Kirsten said...

Ahh...one of the few perks of being a "Johnson" is the difficulty in accurately tracking my online presence. However, I also risk BAD publicity from stupider Kirsten Johnsons that precede me in Google...The first facebook search result is a New Jersey lesbian named Kirsten Johnson who describes herself as "pretentious, judgemental, AND egotistical" great.....;)

LH said...

I love the First Amendment!