Friday, August 16, 2013

Decisive

I've mentioned before that coaching a dance team was the best thing that ever happened to me, from a decision-making standpoint. There's no pressure quite like the one you feel when 30+ teenage girls are staring at you waiting on an edict.

When I first started coaching, I was an assistant. I was the nice coach - and boy did those gals love me. I spent that year listening and appeasing. When I entered the room, I was greeted with a chorus of them yelling, "Geeeeeeeeen!"

It was delightful. They complimented my outfits and my hair. It was basically like a daily shower of appreciation.

Then I was hired as the head coach, which is essentially being hired as the "bad cop." You have to be strict and fair so that everyone is showing up, on time, and doing the work. And you have to make a thousand decisions - decisions about apparel, practice times, facilities, budgets, captains... and that's before you ever even get to practice.

At practice, the clock is ticking. The arms are folded. You can see the scoffs and protests lying in wait deep in their throats, ready to come spewing out.

D is for decisive. 

Make a decision, and stick with it. Try your best to recognize your opposition, ensure they feel heard, and then move on. No time to look back.

I guess what I'm saying is, when a gaggle of girls is telling you at the beginning of the season to speed up the kick tempo, it's best to keep it at 145 beats per minute. Trust me on this one, you guys. You don't wanna see what happens at 155 beats per minute.

1 comments:

LH said...

Make a decision and stick with it.

YES!