Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Day six: sins of omission

When you blog, what's off limits? Why?

I personally hate trainwreck blogs - the ones written by overly emotional, filter-less people with lots of time on their hands. So when I'm writing, I try to steer clear of anything that might scream "Pay attention to what a victim I am!"

The truth is, this blog is the glossy version of my life - I have the world's greatest support system offline, and so I don't usually post when I'm struggling. The exception to this rule occurs when there's a shift in my personal life that will affect the narrative I've created here (what up, breakups!). I try to clarify quickly and move on.

So, to answer my own question, drama is off limits here at A Wooden Nickel. I don't think there's any way to appear dignified by blasting your personal life all over the internets. Some people don't have to be dignified, and can make a hell of a lot of money by airing their dirty laundry. I'm quite sure I don't want to be one of those people.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

GREAT PROMPT! You're never whiny, btw. I know what you mean, too. I do bitch about law school but I try not to complain too much about the really small stuff or the really big stuff. Even though this is pretty much all people do in DC blogs.

http://jamiesfavourites.tumblr.com/post/3908382815/day-six-sins-of-omission

Anonymous said...

Ohhh Penelope. How does she do it?

Gina Marie said...

@Jamie Haha thanks! It's a hard balance because you also run the risk of being so peppy/optimistic that you don't seem real. (Ahem, Pioneer Woman! Who I know you love but she kinda drives me batty.)

@sara I really don't know. I feel so bad for the farmer. Then I remember he knew exactly what he was getting into, so I think he's just a martyr of sorts. Either way, I'm practically a junkie when it comes to reading her blog. Can't turn away...

J D said...

Penelope makes me blush.