Friday, December 17, 2010

Lesson Learned (Reverb10, Day 17)

December 17 – Lesson Learned
What was the best thing you learned about yourself this past year? And how will you apply that lesson going forward? (Author: Tara Weaver)

_____


I've always known that I'm a high-level spaz who can also handle a decent amount of stress and chaos. That is to say, I might not look pretty doing it but I can rock a litany of tasks without completely effing them all up.

Until a few weeks ago, when this happened.

I learned on this day that I not only have a breaking point, I should never let myself hit it. Because while other people's breaking points end in calm, quiet mental breakdowns they share with only their closest sphere, I apparently lose focus and accidentally drive myself into parking lot barriers.

I've begun to look at my day and decide when too much is squeezed into it. Then, I alter the day's timing as much as possible by getting to work early or using PTO if absolutely necessary. While I of course prefer to use PTO for exotic vacations, I've learned that it's in my best interest to utilize it as a sanity-reinforcer too. When used appropriately, two hour early leave times can save day while barely putting a dent into my free time bucket.

_____

On a side note, I've also learned that if you threaten to quit the blogosphere one day and then come back the next, you will be ripped on in your comments by people with really good math skills. Dan, prompts for Reverb10 can be found here.

1 comments:

Jamie said...

Aaah such a good call using PTO. I've definitely pushed my breaking point with law school. It's a pretty awful feeling.