Monday, August 26, 2013

Goosebumps

The first time I heard Macklemore/Ryan Lewis' "Same Love" was in November of 2012. I cried about eleven times that Election Day, while maniacally refreshing the data on Minnesota exit polls. I was optimistic that my state would do the right thing by voting against a ban on gay marriage. We did, and as of August 1, 2013, same sex marriage is legal in my home state.

Only nine months later, this song is being played on every pop, alternative, and R & B station in the country. A friend recently said they were soooooo sick of hearing it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course, but if this song still doesn't give you goosebumps - even when you hear it for a third time in one day -  then you're crazy.

After years of stagnation, the changeover in public support for same sex marriage has been swift and (at least in my opinion), inexplicable. A year ago, I never would have imagined that my gay friends could be getting married in the state I call home - just as I never would have believed that uber-commercial outlets like MTV and Clear Channel Radio would be playing a song like this. So for me? G is for goosebumps, every time.

Here's the group performing their hit on the VMAs last night.





1 comments:

LH said...

Can't listen to this right now. I'm in a coffee shop with music on. But rest assured, to it I will listen.

I have some songs that give me goosebumps too. Every time. Kind of strange if you think about it.