Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Freelance

Over the last year, I’ve freelanced for three local marketing and advertising agencies. I love freelancing because it usually fosters a symbiotic relationship – I get great experience for my resume, a natural opportunity to network with other people in my field, and a little financial padding. The agency who hires me gets short-term, relatively cheap labor from someone they trust. The recession has caused my industry to reevaluate the need for full-time employees, which is a major source of anxiety for my marketing amigos. One upside of the downsizing is that freelancing opportunities are (at least in my experience) relatively easy to come by.

My third project this year is coming to a head, and I’ll be traveling the next four weekends to produce events in some pretty baller cities. My easy-going nature is a benefit in many event situations – I am an expert at rolling with the punches. However, the events I’m producing this month are very structured, and may require me to push back if things don’t go as planned.

Much like Beyonce has created Sasha Fierce as her onstage persona, I’ve decided the best way to approach these events is to create a badass event alter ego.

So far, I’ve come up with Badd Roxy. I think it needs some work, to be honest. Any suggestions? Please leave them in the comments. Having a perfect name is really the first step to rocking these events, I think.



The third picture is my go-to dance move, actually. Unfortunately, it is usually performed in yoga pants and a t-shirt instead of a mesh, House of Dereon two-piece ensemble.

Oh! And here’s a list of freelancing tips I published a few months ago.

3 comments:

Career Girl Network Marcy said...

I didn't realize you were a freelancer! You and the new "Minneapolis Career Girl" definitely need to chat! She's doing contract work and freelance. I'm sure you could really help each other.

Gina Marie said...

Oops! My post doesn't do a great job of explaining that I have a full-time gig, and freelance on the side. But yes, I love taking on freelance work when I can squeeze it in.

I'll definitely get in touch w/ Mpls Career Girl b/c my opps have so far been handed to me, but I know I'll have to be proactive to keep them coming. :)

Emily Anne said...

OMG I love you.