Monday, April 13, 2015

Your daily distraction 4/13/15 | Family dynamics

The backstory on the relaunch of A Wooden Nickel: I read so very many articles on the interwebs and want to start a daily link share. Today's posts all revolved around parenting (and frankly, some family dysfunction) so I went with it. In the future, I think it'll just be a collection of unrelated stuff I come across. Stay tuned as I shake out all the glitches.


I laughed out loud when I read the headline of this New York Times article. I'm forever grateful that my parents were so focused on keeping four kids alive and advancing their own careers that they never memorized my class syllabuses (syllabi is a hyper-correction, FYI) or rewrote my papers.


When Leaning In gets you nowhere: the (female) face and workhorse behind one of the most successful car dealers in the country got skipped over when her dad retired and left the business to his two sons. Infuriating doesn't even begin to describe this story.


On the opposite end of the parenting spectrum is this talented mother who photographs her daughters being fearless in a series she calls Strong is the New Pretty. The older I get, the more scared I get about trying new things. These photos are a fantastic reminder to stop worrying and start breaking new ground.


My friend Marie's beautiful niece, Hazel, had various complications at birth. Here is her Caring Bridge site. If you have a chance to read the journal and send positive thoughts to these first-time parents, please do so. #PrayersforHazel

0 comments: